You must be related to a veteran who has served in overseas combat, earning the campaign medals eligible. That veteran can be a living or deceased spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild.

Step- and adopted parents, children, siblings (and half-siblings), grandparents and grandchildren are considered the same as biological parents, children, siblings, grandparents and grandchildren and may join the VFW Auxiliary under their VFW-eligible veteran.

The most common document is a DD 214, which will list the veteran’s dates of service and campaign medals. You can also use other separation documents, such as documents showing service in Korea, Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger Pay on pay records, and also sometimes other documentation if you don’t have one of these.

 Here is the website you can use to request a DD214  
you can write to:
National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Please contact us if you have any further questions.

No, your veteran is eligible the moment he/she earns the accepted campaign medals for overseas service.

The IRS determines the degrees of separation from the veteran that qualify for membership in a veterans’ service organization auxiliary. The relationship must be within two degrees of "consanguinity” in order to be eligible. That means two generations back (i.e. parents or grandparents) or forward (i.e. children or grandchildren).

After the change in Auxiliary eligibility opened to men in 2015, the VFW determined that any veteran who is eligible for the VFW cannot join the Auxiliary. Some dual members exist from before the change, and they must maintain their eligibility in order to stay members of both organizations.

No, we invite all members to create a M.A.L.T.A. login account and explore the tools and resources available to them such as Auxiliary Officer contact information, forms, documents and the Online Auxiliary Academy. 

Yes, any member – and even a non-member – can order items from the VFW Store